Link-shortening is available only with a separate domain or a subdomain. That's why Short.io provides several options: to buy a domain via any domain registrar and customize DNS, or purchase a domain that will be automatically configured via Short.io.
At the very beginning, Short.io provided domains starting at $12. But there is good news: Now Short.io customers can purchase domains with '.link' TLD at only $3 for the first year of registration. The renewal price is $12.
Here, you can check the domain prices: https://app.short.io/domains/buy_domain/new_domain_search
How to Choose the Domain Extension
Pay attention to the three factors that play an essential role when choosing a domain name extension.
— Website Purpose
Do you want to launch a blog, an educational institution, an online shop, a business, a government? Depending on your purpose, pick a domain extension that accurately reflects it. If it is an online business, choose .com or .biz. You can select '.org' when you want to launch a non-profit organization.
A '.gov' is appropriate for government institutions. Picking the wrong domain extension can confuse the visitors and increase the risk of misinterpretation. If a blog uses the '.gov' extension, visitors can think that the website belongs to a government institution. That can negatively affect domain perception.
The domain extension can show location. There's an opportunity to choose location-targeted domain extensions to show the location: '.de' is for Germany, '.ca' for Canada, '.es' for Spain.
If the domain extension is '.com,' '.net,' or '.org,' the domain name will be targeted for all international countries. Other domain extensions are bound to a particular geographic area.
Think of your location and decide if you want to use a country-specific website or a global website. Then you can choose the appropriate domain extension for the website.
- SEO optimization
While Google indicates that the domain extension doesn't affect search rankings, there is still a chance that your domain extension can influence your search ranking.
The keywords that users use when looking for your website could affect search ranking. If you manage an online shop in Belgium, people most likely will use "online shop be." Choosing ".be" as your domain extension can increase the chances for better Google search results.
Some Types of Domain Extensions
Below is a list of the most common extensions:
- сom (commercial)—international domain for commercial purposes;
- net (network)—as 'net' is associated with technologies and networks, it is commonly used by tech companies;
- biz (business)—companies of a commercial nature; sometimes spam services use it;
- edu (education)—educational institutions or non-profit companies;
- gov—institutions of a public nature (only institutions with relevant documents are eligible to purchase);
- org—non-profit organizations;
- pro—sites providing services of certified professionals/specialists;
- info—information resources, blogs;
- name—sites dedicated to a specific person; usually noncommercial sites;
- me (personal)—sites for personal blogs or websites; ccTLD for Montenegro;
- fm—sites devoted to broadcasting; ccTLD for the Federated States of Micronesia;
- tv—sites dedicated to television; media content; URLs for YouTube and Vimeo channels.
We recommend following the article's guidelines and combining them with your creativity and knowledge to choose the best domain extension.
What did you learn?
- how to buy a domain
- how to register a domain
- cheap domain names